We all get grouchy once in a while, and that’s ok. But when it starts to happen more often, or gets out of control, we need to do something about it.
Did you know that those who enjoy spending time outdoors are better able to like themselves? A British research team asked 400 men and women to rate their self-esteem, their emotional connection to nature, and the social pressure they felt to look good – and found that the nature lovers were most likely to feel better about themselves, and how they look. Being outside may even help make your workouts feel easier. When you are able to set your own exercise pace, you tend to actually stride more quickly and feel happier doing it while you are outside, rather than inside. Nature may provide just enough positive distraction to help keep you energized. So the next time you are out and about, look up and all around you. There is beauty everywhere we turn, we really just need to find it.
Got up on the wrong side of the bed?
We have all heard this saying before, and although it may seem annoying to hear at the time because we woke up in a bad mood, there is some truth to it. Not that you should go back to bed and literally get up from the other side of the bed, but that you should start again. Try thinking of it this way: Something happened in your thoughts that upset or stressed you as you were getting up. Maybe you are worried about an important meeting, or remembering something bad that happened. Whatever the case may be, you need to start over. Pretend you have a ‘re-set button’ you can press. When you press this button, you will re-set your thoughts and attitude. This is so important to do, because if you keep the bad mood, you will only start feeling worse and worse. Give it a try, what have you got to lose but your bad mood?
Essential Oils and Mood – Scent has the power to activate a number of positive physical and emotional responses in less than 1 second!
Yes, you can calm and correct your mood by using the scent of certain essential oils. You can even re-set your mood with essential oils. The best ones to try for moods are any citrus essential oil scents. My favorite up-lifters are Wild Orange, Lime or Tangerine. Others to try would be Lavender, or Cedar wood. You can put several drops of your favorite oils in your hands, cup them over your nose and mouth then inhale. Rub your hands on the back of your neck, and repeat as needed. How does the oil help with moods? First, the oils are highly concentrated plant compounds. We all know that certain scents can trigger positive memories and feelings. The fragrance of the oils consists of molecules that float in the air, waiting for the millions of receptor cells in the nose to smell them. The aroma causes our nerves to fire and send messages traveling to different parts of the brain, activating our thoughts and memories. The Pituitary gland is also stimulated to release chemical messages that travel in the blood to glands and organs that help create positive physical body responses.
How you can Change your mood
There are many tools we can all use to help change our moods. Like I said earlier, It is ok and normal to not always be in a good mood. But if you are tired of being unhappy, get stressed easy, or you are looking for some helpful and simple mood hacks, here are some tools that you can try:
- Music – There are so many choices. Find what works for you to help put you in a better mood. Got a favorite song? Why? How does it make you feel to hear it? Find more!
- Laugh – Don’t take yourself so seriously. Laugh at yourself every chance you get. Having fun and playing are great ways to get in a better mood. Dance, play, and laugh is probably the best advice I can give you! Do it often!
- Enjoy nature – Does seeing flowers, birds or other nature make you happy? Take the blinders off and look around you. Can you find the beauty? It is everywhere, whether we notice it or not.
- Be Thankful – It is time to be happy with what we have. There is always someone who is not so lucky. Remember how blessed you are. Life is too short to spend the day in a bad mood. Remember what you have and be grateful for everything.
- Use your senses – See, hear, smell, feel, touch and taste everything. Relish in the way you can enjoy everything. Be like a child seeing something for the very first time.
- Quiet your mind – Easier said than done, I know. Take a break from thinking, sometimes. When you take a shower, are you on autopilot? Feel the scrubbing as you shampoo your head. Enjoy the scents you smell, FEEL the water as it trickles on your skin. Don’t spend the time thinking of what you will be doing today, or what happened yesterday.
What to take away from this article – BE PRESENT, GET OFF AUTO-PILOT, BE AWARE, REMEMBER TO USE ALL YOUR SENSES, ENJOY THE BEAUTY THAT SURROUNDS YOU, BE THANKFUL YOU ARE YOU!
This article is written by Cynthia Joy Maurice. Cynthia is a ‘Design Your Life with Joy’ Specialist. For your convenience she provides consultations and services at 4 locations in the Myrtle Beach, SC area; as well as in the comfort of your home or Virtual online. To contact Cynthia, please call 843-580-6436 or email her at Cynthia@thejoys.us